Saturday 24 February 2007

Wisdom from Corinthians

My favourite passages from 1 Corinthians
.
1 Corinthians 2
Paul’s Message of Wisdom 1 When I first came to you, dear brothers and sisters, I didn’t use lofty words and impressive wisdom to tell you God’s secret plan. 2 For I decided that while I was with you I would forget everything except Jesus Christ, the one who was crucified. 3 I came to you in weakness—timid and trembling. 4 And my message and my preaching were very plain. Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit. 5 I did this so you would trust not in human wisdom but in the power of God.
6 Yet when I am among mature believers, I do speak with words of wisdom, but not the kind of wisdom that belongs to this world or to the rulers of this world, who are soon forgotten.
.
1 Corinthians 3:6
6 I planted the seed in your hearts, and Apollos watered it, but it was God who made it grow. 7 It’s not important who does the planting, or who does the watering. What’s important is that God makes the seed grow. 8 The one who plants and the one who waters work together with the same purpose. And both will be rewarded for their own hard work. 9 For we are both God’s workers. And you are God’s field. You are God’s building.
.
.
How amazing is it to know that we can be weak, timid and scared. Not have any clever words to say or eloquent speech and God can use us in incredible ways. Infact that's when God is more likely to use us, because we realise that we do need him to do his work and that's when we seek Him.
What an awesome thought to know that it is God who makes the seed grow. We can only water and plant a seed. God does the real work of changing someones life!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good preaching Sav. Sometimes it takes a lot of courage to fully rely on God.

Deb said...

that's one of my fave passages now too, I started thinking about it when I got pot plants on the patio....It's humbling and encouraging to know I'm powerless to make significant stuff happen, I just do my bit but God brings the real growth-fruit/flowers. As I watch it happen with my plants I'm reminded to trust God to do it with the things I sow myself into...