Tuesday 24 April 2007

Matthew 13:31-33 It permeated!


Matthew 13:31-33 (New Living Translation)
Parable of the Mustard Seed
31 Here is another illustration Jesus used: “The Kingdom of Heaven is like a mustard seed planted in a field. 32 It is the smallest of all seeds, but it becomes the largest of garden plants; it grows into a tree, and birds come and make nests in its branches.”
Parable of the Yeast
33 Jesus also used this illustration: “The Kingdom of Heaven is like the yeast a woman used in making bread. Even though she put only a little yeast in three measures of flour, it permeated every part of the dough.”

I love the illustration's in this passage. I especially love the last one. I make playdough fairly often at preschool. As simplistic as I am, I find it amazing how a few drops of colouring will go through the whole batch of playdough.

The Spiritual truth is simple. When God is in my life he permeates every part of my life. The more of God in my life, the more he permeates every part of my life. Not only does yeast permeate, it makes the bread grow. The Kingdom starts with something small and hidden, permeates everything and it will grow beyond what we can imagine. Both in us spiritually and in the larger church. Just think of the early Church. It started small and grew to impact the world. God wants to do the same in me and you.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

great illustration pete. i love it
x jo

Rinni said...

I like your playdough illustration! I like these parables - nice and simple, yet profound.

Deb said...

I like it too, and great picture!